Monday 22 November 2010

my first hunt

I went hunting today for the first time. I went with a friend and another man he brought along. They were both older than I and had been hunting for years so they were showing me the ropes. As we got out of the truck and headed into the woods to find our stands I must admit there was a bit of excitement like when I was a cub scout or tenderfoot going on your first camp out with the boy scouts.

Soon I got to my stand and got all set up. After about 10 minutes or so I heard something moving around behind me. The stand I was in allowed me to turn so I turned to see what it was. In stead of a hog or a deer like I was hoping for all I saw was 2 raccoons walking around a tree. Well just as it began to become light I was wondering if it was late enough to take a legal shot if I saw something. As I was thinking this I heard one of the other guys fire a shot. "I guess so" I thought. Sure enough my phone got a text from my friend saying he got one. A few minutes later I heard another shot. Wow I thought, the way it's going I should see something any minute! Well after a few hours my friend texted me again saying it was time to head for the truck. Bummer man, I hadn't even seen anything. I got down and headed back.

The place we were hunting at has rules about the deer you shoot. Strict rules on the bucks. If they have to have less than 4 inch spikes or at least 4 points on one side to be good to shoot. As I approached the truck my friend and the other fellow were standing there kind of laughing. "You want my deer?" ask my friend. I thought for a minute and then declined saying it must be illegal. Sure enough it had a 2 inch spike on one side and an 8 inch spike on the other side. The other man laughed and said, "You know how you don't go buy food when your hungry? Well the same goes for hunting. He didn't eat breakfast so he was in too much of a hurry to shoot something to make sure it was legal." I laughed and ask about his deer I thought I had heard him shoot at. He said he missed and now it was my friends turn to laugh at him. Well I guess there wasn't much luck for any of us, I didn't see anything, one missed, and the other wished he had missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment